This LOT Winter School offers the RM1 course : “Methods in speech recognition / computational linguistics”.
The RM1 course target students who have finished approximately one semester of their Research Master’s in Linguistics. Second-year RM students and PhD students can enroll as well.
In order to earn 5 ECTS credits, students have to take two courses during the LOT Winter School. Each course requires a time investment of 70 hours, divided across the following components:
- 10 hours: reading of preparatory literature;
- 10 hours: preparatory assignment to be handed in on the first day of class;
- 10 hours: daily attendance during the school;
- 5 hours: two small homework assignments during the course, to be handed in for classes 3 and 4;
- 35 hours: a final assignment to be handed in four weeks after the end of the course.
The teacher is asked to evaluate the preparatory and final assignments on a pass/fail basis. With respect to the homework assignments during the course, it suffices to just check whether students hand in the assignments and, for instance, discuss (part of) the assignment in class.